Sunday, March 23, 2014

Tomato Seedling Update: Week Five

My tomato seedlings have been growing like crazy! The combination of sunlight, warmth from our patio window and overhead lighting seemed to work well. I also kept them moderately moist, letting them dry out before adding more water.  Today was time to get them moved to larger pots to help them grow more.
Plants before being moved to bigger pots. Seeing these beautiful plants helps to distract me from the cover of snow our yard received overnight last night. I thought it was spring?!

I was so pleased when I removed them from their cups to see lots of roots!

I bought medium-sized pots a couple of years ago at Canadian Tire and have been reusing them since. I give them a good wash in warm water with a splash of bleach and scrub them clean. I then make sure they get a good rinse and then they're ready to be used.  I used a combination of potting soil with added vermiculite to accompany the seedlings. When moving tomato seedlings to bigger pots, make sure to bury the stem of the plant into the soil mixture- roots will form off of the stem. Also, give them a bit of water once they're in their new homes.  It will help them settle in and help encourage the roots to grow.


Happy plant in its bigger pot
Stay tuned for more updates as things progress! I also started seeds for chocolate peppers and mini sweet peppers today.

By the way, if you're not sure which gardening zone you're in, Agriculture Canada has a great guide for Canadians. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...