Sunday, July 21, 2013

Which Jar is a Good Canning Jar?



I love vintage jars. I wonder what they were used for? Who used them? I particularly love the blue Ball jars from the early 1900s.  This year, Ball is reintroducing them to celebrate their 100th year.  



As much as I love vintage jars, I never use them in canning. Never ever. Here's why: their lids aren't safe because they don't seal properly and many vintage jars have wear and tear (chips/cracks that you may not even see easily) that would jeopardize the safety of the contents. Meaning bacteria and other bad stuff could get in there.  




If you need to read tips about safe canning procedures, I highly recommend these resources:

National Center for Home Food Preservation: http://nchfp.uga.edu/
Government of Canada Home Canning: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/eating-nutrition/safety-salubrite/food-canning-conserve-aliment-eng.php

I like to use my vintage jars as a display and as vases.  How do you use yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...