Sunday, July 21, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

I love mixing rhubarb with strawberries to make a tart jam- the kind of jam that when you taste it, you get the mix of sweet with tart, and your jaw tingles a little. It's perfect for toast and in the cold winter months, it is a nice reminder of summer.  I don't use pectin for this recipe, it's a personal preference now given the chat I had with my great aunt (see earlier post).  I start off with 4 cups of cut up fresh, local rhubarb (local as in I grew it in one of my garden beds!) cut into 1" pieces. I add 2 cups of cut up fresh, local strawberries and mix them together in my non-stick Dutch oven pot.  I add 3 cups of sugar and then bring them to a boil.  I let it boil at medium heat, skimming off the foam during the process.  Once it reduces, I use the same process as I've used for the strawberry jam- sterilized jars, hot water bath, etc.  The jam is delicious! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...